This week, The Broke and the Bookish is talking about some of our OTHER favorites. I had planned on doing TV shows, but I watch all the same shows as everyone else and it wouldn’t be as entertaining as divulging my awful taste in movies.
So all through high school I had one of those little televisions that had the built in VCR. I also lived right across the street from the best Target in the world, and since DVDs were clearly taking over, VHS tapes were super low-priced. They were $5 or less, but the selection wasn’t exactly current.
- The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is my all-time, numero uno, favoritest movie ever. Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds star in this musical as the owner of a whorehouse and the sheriff, respectively. They’re sneaking around together and singing and just being amazing. I love Dolly Parton SO MUCH and this movie has it all.
- Stick It is a movie I love but I feel like it should be a secret. It’s technicalllllly a sports movie which means it’s okay, but it’s mostly all the gymnastics that gets me.
- Kiss Kiss Bang Bang – RDJ and Val Kilmer having a sass off.
- Slap Shot/Goon: Obviously I love Slap Shot THE MOST, but Goon is such a good hockey movie too and Liev Schrieber (and Jay Baruchel, if I’m being honest).
- Empire Records IF YOU DON’T LOVE THIS DON’T TALK TO ME
- Almost Famous (see above)
- 200 Cigarettes is everything. Literally everyone is in it and it’s fab
- Mallrats is the movie that made me fall in love with Jason Lee and I can’t even explain why I still love it. I can’t really watch it ever because I have the whole thing memorized, but it’s something I can always put on to go to sleep.
- Clueless is a movie I appreciate and love more every time I watch it.
- Reality Bites/Pump Up the Volume/Heathers: I definitely understand the Christian Slater in the 80’s thing. WINONA FOREVER